What To Do After An Automobile Accident

What do you do when you’ve just been in an automobile accident?

Well, first thing’s first… Talk to all the witnesses.  Get their personal information (driver’s license, license plate number, and car registration) from them right away, as it is very difficult, if not impossible, to find them once they leave the scene.

Take detailed notes about the accident right away.  You may forget key elements and accounts of what happened, so make sure you write it down while it’s fresh in your mind.

Don’t talk about what happened in the accident with anyone at the scene.  Especially DO NOT discuss the accident with ANYONE until you have talked to your attorney.  You need to talk to your legal counsel first.  You may need to talk to the police officer, but when doing so make sure to take this advice:  Make sure the investigating officer understands your description of the accident completely & accurately.  Make sure the investigating officer takes notes about what you say.  Those are the notes the police officer will write a report on your accident with your personal statement.

If an “adjuster” shows up at your accident – as often happens in some cases – don’t settle with anyone on the spot.  This may cost you money.  Do not provide any explanation or written statement to the adjuster.  The insurance adjuster works for the insurance company and not for you, and has their best interests in mind, not yours.  Don’t ever take an “on the spot” settlement — there is no possible way to determine the amount of compensation you are entitled to until you have been examined by your doctor.  Your doctor will look at the extent of all your injuries, your need for medical treatment or perhaps surgery.  An “on the spot” settlement may limit and restrict any future treatment.

If you are injured – See a Doctor quickly!  Your aches and pains may not develop until after a few days in most cases, and some injuries are not obvious. Consult with Gabe Giwa & Associates and we will help you with choosing a medical doctor to provide you the service you need.